Step 2 – Take Everyday Preventive Actions Everyday Preventive Actions YOU Can Take to Help Prevent the Spread of Flu:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze-throw the tissue away after you use it.
- Stay away as much as you can from people who are sick.
- If you get the flu, stay home from work or school. If you are sick, do not go near other people so that you don't make them sick too.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. If you are not near water, use an alcohol-based hand cleaner.
- Try not to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs often spread this way.
- These actions can help prevent the spread of influenza and other respiratory viruses during cold and flu season.