End Stage Renal Disease Facility Initial Licensure Requirements
End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) treatment facilities shall be licensed by the Department of Health and Hospitals (DHH). DHH is the only licensing authority for ESRD facilities in the State of Louisiana. It shall be unlawful to operate an ESRD facility without possessing a current, valid license issued by DHH.
In order to be licensed as an ESRD facility in Louisiana the facility must also be in continuous compliance with federal regulatory requirement applicable to ESRD facilities, including, but not limited to 42CFR Part 494 Conditions for Coverage for ESRD facilities (§ 494.1 - 494.180).
Once a provider is licensed, the license is valid for one year from the date of issue unless otherwise revoked, suspended, or terminated.
Licensing application process:
1. A Licensing Application Form approved by Health Standards Section must be completed.
2. Applicable licensing fees ($600 plus $5 per station). There has been a change in the Payment Procedure please follow the link for instructions. This fee is not refundable in the event the facility fails to meet the licensing requirements and HSS determines that a license could not be issued.
3. A Letter of Intent must accompany each licensing application describing the DBA name of the facility to be licensed, the geographical address of the ESRD requesting to be licensed, the anticipated date of completion of the ESRD or the anticipated date by which the facility would be ready for licensing, and the types of surgical specialties to be provided in the ESRD.
4. Architectural plan approval letter from Plan Review
5. Small floor plan sketch to identify all areas of the ESRD as to its use.
6. Office of State Fire Marshal certificate for occupancy.
7. Office of Public Health certificate for occupancy.
An on-site announced licensing survey will only be scheduled and conducted by HSS after completion of Items 1-7.