A Gambling Disorder, also known as problem, pathological, or compulsive gambling, is gambling behavior which causes disruptions in any major area of life: psychological, physical, social or vocational. It is an addiction characterized by increasing preoccupation with gambling, a need to bet more money more frequently, restlessness or irritability when attempting to stop, "chasing" losses, and loss of control manifested by continuation of the gambling behavior in spite of mounting, serious, negative consequences.
"When gambling is more than a game, no one wins."
Are you or a loved one experiencing problems with gambling? If someone answers YES to either one of the questions below, that person should seek the advice of an experienced gambling counselor.
- Have you ever had to lie to people important to you about how much you gambled? OR
- Have you ever felt the need to bet more and more money?
Signs & Symptoms
- Feel the need to be secretive about your gambling
- Have trouble controlling your gambling
- Spending more time gambling than intended
- Increase in size of bets (sudden and dramatic)
- Working up special occasions for gambling (canceling other plans)
- Gamble even when you don't have the money
- Intensity of interest in gambling (constant tension & excitement)
- Boasting about winning; evasive about losing
- Family and friends are worried about you
- Exaggerated display of money and other possessions
- Drop off in other activities
- Frequent absences from home and work
- Withdrawal from family
- Personality changes (increased irritability/hostility)
- Diversion of family funds
- Borrowing Money
- Criminal Activity
There are resources available at no cost for Louisiana residents. The Louisiana Department of Health, Office of Behavioral Health provides a variety of options for the treatment and prevention of Gambling Disorders. For more information or to set up an appointment to address a gambling problem or concern, contact the office nearest to you or call the Louisiana Problem Gamblers Helpline.
- Click here for a list of gambling service providers.
- The Louisiana Problem Gamblers Helpline:
- Phone: 1-877-770-STOP (7867) - The helpline is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It is toll-free and confidential.
- Social Media: Text 1-877-770-STOP.
- Online: Live chat at www.helpforgambling.org
Additional Information and Links