What role does an audiologist play in the LA EHDI process?
The pediatric audiologist may provide follow-up services to infants who do not pass the inpatient hearing screening or may serve in a management position.
- Confirm hearing loss by performing a comprehensive diagnostic assessment
- Ensure that parents understand the significance of the hearing loss
- Provide timely fitting and monitoring of amplification devices
- Make referrals to appropriate intervention services
- Promptly report data (test results, no shows, fitting amplification) to LA EHDI
- Communicate with and report to PCP
- Newborn hearing-screening program development
- Quality assessment of screening programs
- Service coordination and referrals
- Audiological treatment and consultations
*Roles developed by JCIH, 2007 Position Statement