Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) HIV-1/2 PLUS O EIA
HIV-1/2 + O EIA
- Laboratory Location – Central Laboratory
- CPT Code – 87390, 87391
- Synonyms – HIV, HIV-1/2, Anti-HIV 1/2 O
- Test Description - The HIV-1/2 Plus O EIA is used to detect antibodies to HIV-1(groups M and O) and/or HIV-2 in human serum or plasma. It is used as an aid in the diagnosis of infection is HIV-1 and/or HIV-2.
- Specimen Type - Serum
- Specimen Container(s) - red top tubes, Marble top tubes, polypropylene vials
- Minumum accepted volume - 275 µL(does not allow for repeat testing)
Specimen Collection Instructions
Blood should be collected in a plastic, sterile STD Program approved collection tube. Please follow the manufacturer's instructions on clot time and centrifuge speed/time requirements.
The HIV Laboratory Test Requisition form must be filled out completely. The following information must be included on the form:
- Patient's Name
- Patient's Date of Birth
- Patient's Gender
- Patient's race/ethnicity
- Date and time of specimen collection
- Test requested
- Type of specimen collected
- Submitter's name and address
- External ID#
Storage and Transport Instructions
Speciments should be shipped refrigerated (2-8ºC) or ambient (8-37°C).. Specimens can be stored for up to 7 days. For longer storage, specimens must be frozen at -20ºC or colder. Frozen specimens must be shipped on dry ice and received at a temperature of -20ºC or colder.
Causes for Rejection
- Improper labeling,
- expired collection tubes
- unspun samples
- tubes that contain less than 90% of the total drawing capacity (QNS)
- Specimen age greater than 7 days if specimen has not been frozen at -20ºC or colder
- Improper storage or improper transport temperature requirements are also reasons for rejection
Limitations for the Procedure
Repeatedly reactive specimen must be investigated by additional, more specific or supplemental tests. Testing alone cannot be used to diagnose AIDS, which is a clinical syndrome. The diagnosis of AIDS must be established clinically. A negative test result at any point does not preclude the possibility of exposure to or infection with HIV-1 and/or HIV-2.
- No clinically significant effect has been detected in assay results of serum or plasma samples with increased levels of protein, lipids, bilirubin, or hemolysis, or after heat inactivation of patient samples.
- BioRad Genetic Systems™ HIV-1/HIV-2 Plus O EIA package insert
- BioRad Genetic Systems™ HIV-2 EIA package insert
- EVOLIS™ Operator Manual
Back to A to Z Test Listing