The Louisiana Department of Health is pleased to announce that Medicaid now covers Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) services for persons who meet the following guidelines published in the February 2014 Emergency Rule (Louisiana Register, Volume 40, Number 2). All of the criteria below must be met to receive services:
- be from birth up to 21 years of age;
- be determined by a qualified health care professional to meet the medical necessity and other requirements in LDH regulations;
- be diagnosed by a qualified health care professional with a condition for which ABA-based therapy services are recognized as therapeutically appropriate, including autism spectrum disorder;
- have a comprehensive diagnostic evaluation by a qualified health care professional; and
- have a prescription for ABA-based therapy services ordered by a qualified health care professional.
To access these services a person should select a Medicaid enrolled ABA provider who will submit the request for prior authorization to Molina Medicaid Solutions for approval.
For assistance locating these providers, call the Specialty Care Resource Line at 1-877-455-9955 or LDH directly at 1-844-423-4762.